Random Headlines?

1923
The Attorney General said
It was legal for women to wear trousers anywhere
on this day in history

1947
India gained independence
While Roswell gained fame
And 'A Streetcar Named Desire'
opened on Broadway

1965
US combat troops arrived in Vietnam
Malcolm X was shot to death at a Harlem rally
But not all was glum
For My Fair Lady won the Oscars
And The Sound of Music premiered

1985
Live Aid glued people together
Out Of Africa won best movie
And I was hooked on A-HA
Phil Collins, Madonna and WHAM
And we all believed
We Are The World

1999
Strange year it was
When the FCC gave a morning session
To The Wireless Access To The Internet
In The Commission Room
At 9.00am

And Y2K was the buzzword

Yet frozen in time for me
I am almost embarrassed to admit

Diana's wedding, and on the day she died
I was thinking what it would be like
If it was MJ
...

-----------------------------------------------------
For Thursday Think Tank
which is making headlines


















6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh.......thanks for the memories! Sigh. Such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to read the headlines on the different dates. One is my birth year and the last is the year my son passed away. We have our Life headlines don't we.

    http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-news.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a style, my friend. I wanna write something like this. Nostalgia resonates throughout this piece. Unsentimental.. just perfectly handled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you brought back memories of a time that reminds me... history is happening as we go, and so many glorious moments but also mistakes and disasters go with us as well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And 'A Streetcar Named Desire'
    opened on Broadway"

    this saya it all for me

    wonderful. thnx

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts - and friendship !

Related Posts with Thumbnails