my life in books


today

I am reading,
make that rereading
schindler's list

yet

i do remember
a long time ago, reading
peter and jane

week

after week, fairytales
enid blyton favorites
nancy drew mysteries

enthralled

me endlessly,
the old curiosity shop
lovely agatha christie

read

hikayat malim deman
awang sulong merah muda
hikayat panji semirang

behind

curtain drapes that hid me
as i devoured the tale of
urashimataro

then

lady white snake beckoned
as did ramayana
and che siti wan kembang

finally

wuthering heights moved
mill on the floss
off the pedestal for me

and

after anna karenina, I settled
down to touch not the cat
and cave of the clan bear

but

the slow pace killed me
bourne was pure excitement
nostradamus was genius

suddenly

the day I found dune
 a whole universe revealed
I fell in love

with 

dragon lance series
lord of the rings
servant of the bones

french

lessons brought tin tin
une vie et cyrano
c'est merveilleux

daughters

arrived to bring me back 
to noddy and  egyptian lores
harold and the purple crayon

introduced 

me to harry potter
hunger games
and more inkspell

magic









15 comments:

  1. Ninot Ma'am,
    You covered the whole gamut of reading pleasure a major portion I've yet to read. As though it's still not enough, Harry Potter too! The kids are happy giving it!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are a very important part of my life Sir Hank. It has always been like this.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this was such a feast of remembering, as each book came alive in memory. Lovely lovely journey. Isnt it great to get to return through the childhood favorites with our own kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the unexpected bonus Sherry. Plus, when you read extensively, you can always pull something out of the hand to convince your children you are the cleverest one of all :-)

      Delete
  3. smiles...i love to read...and i was just looking at the dragonlance books the other day, very tempted to pick one up again and read just for the fun of it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rereading books, Brian. every corner in the house has a bookshelf or something. And I could suddenly just sit down and indulge in an old friend. Not the whole book maybe, but favorite parts.

      I am into Holocaust survivors at the moment and am reading Schildler's List and The Dark Room simultaneously.

      Last month it was Russian authors.

      Delete
  4. Ninotaziz,

    Your poem tracks a journey through your life as well as book tastes and choices. Very clever:)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely journey indeed, Eileen. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. This is a tale within itself, love that image of hiding behind curtains to keep reading those precious words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that was me for many years growing up. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. How you have woven the titles of great books and the author's names into it is impressive. The ones I identify most with: Schindler's List, Bourne, Anna Karenina, Agatha and Harry Potter. Leo Tolstoy is my fave author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank Herbert, Leo Tolstoy and Emily Bronte for me! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. You and I travelled very similar reading paths :-) A perfectly penned journey and you brought so many smiles. Dune was an awakening wasn't it? A friend gave it to me and for years I was hooked on sci fi and fantasy. Really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so happy you love Dune! Wasn't it marvelous? For many years, Wuthering Heights and Anna Karenina were firm favorites. Then I read Dune and it has been on the top of the list til now...

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts - and friendship !

Related Posts with Thumbnails