Chrysanthemums


On the table
Chrysanthemums so pretty
Deadly spikes beneath

Sur la table
Chrysanthèmes tres jolie
Mais pointes mortelles

Sungguh cantik
Bunga kekwa berseri
Dipasak duri

by ninotaziz. all rights reserved
______________________________________

Haiku in English, French and Malay

for Tackle It Tuesdays
and
dVerse Open Link Night

notes:

This poem was originally written for Tackle it Tuesdays. However, the poem has its origins in my early days as a junior executive at the 100 year old Royal Lake Club Kuala Lumpur, over 20 years ago. I had newly joined the Club, and normally spent my lunchtime at The Buttery. I was determined not to forget my love for poetry and spent that relaxing one hour having lunch and writing poetry.

The Buttery had  floor to ceiling windows overlooking the century old Lake Gardens.

Fresh flowers adorned the restaurant in those days. And they were changed every three days. To make the flowers stand, spikes were placed at the bottom of the vases.

And I thought to myself, so often, we have to use harsh measures to look beautiful. Why?

Wow, Joseph - excellent idea to recount the origin of our poems.


18 comments:

  1. Ninot Ma'am,

    It pays off to be wary
    Of things nice and lovely
    May well be a spectre
    That hides things sinister

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Dear Sir Hank,
      Had your share of sinister species, eh Sir Hank? Just pulling your leg! How's the golf coming along?

      Delete
    4. Yes, Ma'am they were around. Got to be one step ahead all the time! Not been golfing lately but I might just pick up where I left off shortly. I'll snap lots of pics around the fairways. I'll then try and fit them to my future postings! Yeah! Why not! Thanks for the 'cuit'

      Hank

      Delete
  2. Hank and I think alike. The first thing I thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sinister it shall be then. Like Agatha Christie.

      Delete
  3. So true. Even beauty can kill. Lovely Haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha...spikes to hold them upright...feels like real life to me...smiles...love that you have it in three languages...and welcome at the pub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia. It does reflect real life, doesn't it? I will work towards becoming a regula at the pub. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. beneath the beauty, there is often thorns or danger....one must surely be careful....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Brian, the more beautiful, the more dangerous?

      Delete
  6. Hi nino! I haven't seen you in ages. How are you? This is lovely and I enjoyed the way you wrote it in French and Malay.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pamela!
      I have missed you. I tried looking and I think you must have closed down your old blog? I kept visiting all Pamelas I could find!

      It is so good to see you again...

      Delete
  7. Sometimes all is not what it seems and beauty does indeed (at times) hide something sinister...

    It is a pity we sometimes frame beauty in harsh measures.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna!
      Yes, sometimes beauty is sinister. But generally, we can enjoy beauty quite in the comfort of knowing it is for real...

      Delete
  8. This is my first visit to your blog if I recall correctly ...and I am so happy I did. The haiku is striking and the explanation at the end about the flowers being held in spikes took my breath away ! I thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts - and friendship !

Related Posts with Thumbnails