N.U.S.A.N.T.A.R.A


if you have never been to this enchanted land, you would not be able to visualise the grace of hands brought together, to signify respect and welcome. the flick of fingers in rhythmic response to the gamelan brass orchestra - anger. love. goodbye. in a drama that unfolds through dance. and dance alone.

hands, beckon
anger. love. goodbye
the music begins


if you have never been to this legacy of romance, you would not be able to listen to the million fables brought together, to represent centuries of storytelling. or the flick of fingers in rhythmic response to the voice of the penglipurlara - makyung. wayang. mulung. in a drama that unfolds on  stage. alone.

stories, beckon
makyung. wayang. mulung.
the show begins

if you have never been to this world of grace, you would not be able to smell the million scents brought together, to represent centuries of tradition. or the flick of fingers in rhythmic response to the brass pots and wooden stove - cloves. curry. cinnamon. in a drama that unfolds above the fire. and fire alone.

spices, beckon
cloves. curry. cinnamon
the feast begins


_____________________________________



My list, that did not make the linky.

Inspired by Tony Maude at dVersepoets


23 comments:

  1. I would love to visit your country again, listen to the music, soak up the stories and taste the food (not the too spicy ones though) ~ This strikes me a lovely threefold haibun ~ So well done ~

    OpenLinkNight is later in the afternoon, you can still link up ~ Have a good week, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, for the reminder.

      I love Malaysia, but I would love to visit Canada again one day. I miss the ice sculptures, and pancakes with maple syrup. The first snow and gorgeous maple trees in autumn.

      Delete
  2. oh i love how all the scents are brought together for the festival - such big impact to the unconcious as well... very cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year is our Year of Festivals in Malaysia, Claudia. We have almost as many festivals as we have legends!

      Delete
  3. I have never visited your enchanted land but, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All countries have a story to share. And some, more! I have been to New York and Buffalo, and passed through LA. But I am sure if I visited Miami or Houston, it would be different.

      Delete
  4. A sensual exotic feast of mystery words and images

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poem takes me right there till I can see the graceful movements of the dancer's fingers, and smell the exotic spices. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, we were warching a TV dic on Killer whales today, and I thought of you. How is Tofino?

      Delete
    2. And when are you coming? We have elephants!

      Delete
  6. How I would love to visit your enchanted land--especially after this magical description! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to that world, and it all came back with this fine poem. The subtle hand and eye gestures in the sensuous dance, the smells, the rich music and myth so much deeper than my own. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, I had a list that didn't even make it to the computer, let alone the linky! A common problem for me.

    I loved loved loved this writing. The refrain with diverse beckonings, the whole idea of having to experience something before appreciating the reenactment. GLORIOUS. Now I want curry and tamarind chutney... sigh... love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Groovy piece. Love the form.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful haibun that weaves the senses and tradition of your country.. The list is just beautiful in the way it creates a lust to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. its a cool list...and i have not been to your country, though i hope too..i had a friend just get back and we have talked of my going back with him the next time he goes...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ninot Ma'am,
    The one to be extending the goodness of Malaysia to the world. It is a tall order and you've done it most superbly! Well done!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is the rich mix of cultures which makes all countries so fascinating....we all brew from the same source. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An enchanting, intriguing, colourful list poem - would love to see it play out in your country... Maybe some time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear...no-one with a soul is ever the same after south east Asia. I carry it with me every day:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your writing feels me with peace. You express a beauty and give it to me to see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You make me long to come visit you Ninot more than I already did. This is a delight to read!

    ReplyDelete

Share with me your thoughts - and friendship !

Related Posts with Thumbnails